Sunday, August 24, 2014

Including Veronika




Veronika, ca. 1988, Oil on Linen, 16 by 14 in., Collection of the Artist



My Home Studio en Deshabille
Many  artists fall in love with portraiture when they are studying traditional painting methods at the art academies.  But when their school days are behind them, they quickly learn how difficult it is to make a living painting portraits, unless they are ready, willing and able to copy photographs of CEO’s, a popular “how-to” subject curiously omitted from Robert Henri’s inspirational bible, “The Art Spirit.”

I have often wished I could eke out a living by painting head and shoulders portraits from life on a regular basis for a couple of hundred bucks apiece.  Alas, for my sake only, I’m no clever entrepreneur, and dreaming about this was as far as I ever got.  Along with a plethora of character faults I’m saddled with, I blame my ill-suited home studio for not realizing this dream.  

You really need a grand space to paint portraits on a regular basis, and the wealth of an Arabian sheik to acquire that space in Manhattan.  Your regal sitters should not have to walk through slipshod living quarters to get to a cramped, cluttered home studio that used to be a bedroom in a middle-class, pre-war New York City apartment, and which most certainly was not designed for creating portraits in the grand manner. 

One of the problems with painting portraits by natural light in my home studio is that I have to paint very close to the two adjacent, average-size windows in the room to get enough light on my sitters and my canvas.   The light is further reduced because I block those windows with shades about three-quarters of the way up to get at least a semblance of the 45-degree angle of light that we traditional painters prefer.  One of my dealers was amazed that I could paint with so little light.  Well, the reduced, concentrated natural light is acceptable for painting still lifes, but inadequate for portraiture.   In essence, my painting area isn’t big enough and the light isn’t strong enough to allow me to explore a variety of poses to get the most flattering light effect on my sitters.  The two windows are in the middle of the short wall of the 11 by 20 foot room.  That’s another major problem.  I’m not able to back up far enough alongside that short wall to compare the sitter and my painting on the same plane and in the same atmosphere.  With necessary storage at both ends of the short wall, it’s really only about 7 feet of usable space for the model stand and my easel.

There are many accounts of the great portrait painters like Sargent and Philip de Laszlo getting a lot of exercise walking long distances back and forth as they painted.  Both men set their canvases beside their sitters.  Describing the visual phenomena necessitating all this physical activity is not an easy task.  “I must go fairly far off to see the general effect of my subjects as a whole in all that rightness of relation upon which I insist so much,” de Laszlo said in “Painting a Portrait,” one of a series of  little “how-to” books published in the 1930s by The Studio Publications of London and New York.  “When I stand back I am recording mentally what I am going to put on my canvas when I walk up to it.”   Not many portrait painters are able to work that way today, but we can still judge the proper values and general effect much better at a distance than we can up close.

I know that many painters today like to work close to their sitters at all stages of the painting to get that photographic detail they can’t live without.  But in addition to needing room to back up, I need a few feet of psychological distance from the sitter to be comfortable while I paint and talk to the people I paint; that is, on the few occasions when I do paint them in my home studio.  I’ve never had much demand for my portrait work.  Must I add, “With good reason?”

I probably shouldn’t complain, however, even though I’m good at it and it’s what some friends claim I do best.  I’ve heard about far worse situations from quite a few apartment dwellers who are also serious painters.  An easel set up temporarily in the corner of a living room is often the only option, given the outrageously high rents for tiny studio spaces in New York City.  Some urban artists just continue to paint in the art schools because it’s impossible for them to paint at home.

My friend Albert Herr (1923-2008), an excellent painter who had been one of the top courtroom sketch artists for television news programs for 20 years, initially had a similar home studio setup, with the daylight coming from large terrace windows on the short wall of a very long room.  Al painted a lot of portraits of paid models in his home studio, as well as many portraits of an Eastern European man who just loved getting his portrait painted by Al.  That man wasn’t wealthy, as far as we could tell, but he bought some of Al’s paintings of the models and paid Al $500 each time he sat for the dozen or more portraits Al painted of him.  The man got into trouble with his landlord, I was told, because he was a first-class hoarder.  His apartment was apparently piled to the rafters with his “collectibles” -- and Al’s paintings.  Al passed away and I never heard the outcome of his patron’s apartment problem.  I always wondered why the man wanted so many portraits of himself and why Al kept painting them, even though he was getting paid each time.  I’m sure the money came in handy.  But “no mas” is my usual reaction after painting the same face just a couple of times.

The point of introducing Al into my musings is that he gave up painting by natural light in his home studio at the suggestion of his friend Hananiah Harari (1912-2000), a well-known painter and popular teacher.  I once watched Harari paint a demonstration portrait at the Art Students League and was very impressed by how casually he went about capturing an excellent likeness of the model with a simple palette and a  direct painting method, with absolutely no gimmicks or drama involved.  Harari’s unusual name, by the way, was invented by his step-father, who thought it would be better suited for an “important artist” than his birth name, Richard Falk Goldman, according to a Wikipedia account that says a citation is needed for this tidbit.  

Harari told Al to forego painting by natural light and turn his setup around to paint by artificial light so he could back up more.  Al needed a lot of light to paint by in his later years, so he mounted eight of those long daylight fluorescent tubes vertically on a board, which he attached high up on a stand with wheels to easily adjust the angle of light.

I’ve also painted portraits under artificial light a few times in my home studio, using the original three-light fixture on the ceiling in the center of the room to light both the model and my canvas, and it worked out just fine, in fact far better than when I have tried to devise some other artificial light setup. With the sitter’s back to the darkened windows on the short wall, there is plenty of space behind me to back up to see what I’m doing.  I don’t know why I didn’t just give up painting people by natural light like Al did and use this overhead lighting all the time.  I guess it’s because of that plethora of character faults of mine that I alluded to above.

I painted Veronika under this light more than 20 years ago in two evening sessions of about two hours each, if I remember correctly.  What a wonderful and beautiful creature she was.  And she had such a perfect complexion.  I asked her to wear her leather jacket, which she accessorized with that lovely floral scarf tied neatly around her swan-like neck.  She was an excellent model and knew how to put together a very paintable ensemble.  Veronika was from Germany and an artist herself.  She had a husband living somewhere in Spain.  Or was he an ex-husband?  I don’t remember.  We chatted amiably while I painted.  I can’t remember what we talked about so long ago, but I remember how much fun it was to paint her and how nice it was to receive her flattering comment about the finished product.

I found Veronika when she was modeling in the late 1980s at Joe Catuccio's beloved basement drawing center on Greene Street in Soho, which was called “The Project of Living Artists.”  The setting was an immense live/work space that never received the light of day.  Joe slept behind a screen in a back corner and created his mural-size, boldly expressionist paintings in the huge workspace, where the drawing sessions were held evenings and weekends for 26 years, from 1971 to 1997.  The place was reeking with bohemian-artist atmosphere, not to mention sometimes as many as 12 cats roaming around foraging for food in the artists’ belongings they had placed on the floor beside their chairs while they were drawing the models.  Everybody in New York who was into life drawing back then probably has fond memories of Joe’s place, although I have met some spoilsports who said they couldn’t draw there because of the cats.  

I drew at the “Project” on Saturdays and some evenings every summer during the 1980s, a period when my usual drawing venue, the Art Students League, did not have open classes for members on weekends.  I loved drawing at Joe’s place.  I loved the casual, carefree, counter-culture tone that Joe had established through his art, his lifestyle, and his burly, soft-spoken presence.  He was always broke, but he scraped by somehow, doing odd jobs, like working for a moving company when necessary.  I contributed a little extra to the cause by always purchasing a cup of his fairly decent percolator coffee and a stale piece of coffeecake served up from his little kitchenette during the breaks. 

The models that posed at Joe’s place often seemed more interesting to me than the standard art school models I was accustomed to drawing.  Some of the “Project” models posed for a lark, like one famous woman writer I chatted with briefly, or because they were penniless at the time, like a female pop icon.  Robert Speller, an ex-dancer, booked all the models for Joe and some of the downtown art schools and independent drawing groups around the city for many years.  When a model didn’t show up, he would often substitute.  Speller played a very important role in keeping all those drawing venues supplied with models.  He was a true professional in a job that is too often left to disconnected amateurs at the full-time art schools.  And he was an excellent model himself. 

Joe moved his “Project” drawing center to Williamsburg in Brooklyn in 1997 when he was finally forced out of his basement rental space in Soho as a consequence of the booming real estate market in Manhattan.   The New York Times wrote an article about Joe and his “Project” in 1994.   You can find that article and information about Joe’s drawing center online.  And here is a link to his artwork: http://www.newyorkartworld.com/gallery/catuccio2.html.  The New York Times also wrote about Robert Speller’s art modeling career a couple of times and you can read those articles online as well.  I think I’ll write a separate blog post about my friend Al Herr at some point.  I never saw Veronika again after she posed so sweetly for that portrait.  I wonder how she got on with her life and art.   

With the passing years, I’m often awash in hazy, melancholic memories, and don’t even know how I got on with my own life and art.  But I’m pretty sure I didn’t have a plan.

Albert Herr, Courtroom Sketch

Drawings of Robert Speller, late 1980s