Friday, July 4, 2014

A Pin-up for the 4th

Gil Elvgren, Looking for Trouble, 1953


I notice that a few bloggers have marked our nation’s Independence Day in some fashion, so I thought I would do the same.  Since I’m no longer interested in the patriotic folderol surrounding the event, I’ll just sit home by the computer this evening and waste a little more time creating my own trifle regarding this national holiday.

I remember once watching the annual fireworks display from a very high floor in one of the old World Trade Center buildings at a little viewing party thrown in the office of an acquaintance about 25 years ago.  I found the view of the fireworks display looking down on it to be far less thrilling than looking up at it.  But the crowds actually attending this event at ground level are unbearable, so I no longer bother leaving my apartment to venture riverward – east or west, depending on the promoter’s whim.  None of my fireworks forays in my youth resulted in particularly pleasant memories, anyway – some memorably unpleasant, as a matter of fact. The holidays, including this one, however, are excellent days to stay home and paint on a still life.  I believe there is something inherently noble about engaging in an activity that is so far removed from the media spell cast on the entire country.  It’s like being a martyr for the cause of painting.  And sometimes I paint a little better on such occasions.

At any rate, I found the perfect image for this national celebration in a 1953 illustration by Gil Elvgren, the best pin-up artist by far of all those great illustrators from the 1930s to 1960s who plied the joyous trade of depicting feminine pulchritude at its peak.  I saw a show of his pin-ups in a Soho gallery some years ago and was smiling about it for days afterward.  He used photo references, of course, but he started out with pretty Minnesota girls under the age of 21, and could draw so well that you don’t look at his illustrations and immediately say “photograph.”  You just smile and admit that those luscious figures he painted are simply fabulous.

By contrast, that same show included a portrait Elvgren did from life -- his wife, as I recall.  And it cheered me a little bit to realize that it wasn’t very good.  Same thing with Norman Rockwell and a lot of other great illustrators.  They all wanted to paint like Sargent or Zorn, et al, in their illustrations, as Andrew Loomis wrote about in his comprehensive book, Creative Illustration, but they couldn’t come close when faced with the real thing in front of them. Yes, there is a great divide between illustration and real painting.  But don’t tell anybody, because you will just get cussed out.

Anyway, enjoy the 4th of July if you must.  The sun comes up tomorrow.