Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thick or Thin





John Singer Sargent, Violet Sargent, his youngest sister, 1881, Oil on Canvas
 27.5 x 22 in., Private Collection

John Singer Sargent, Rose-Marie Ormond, the artist's niece, 1912, Oil on Canvas, 31 ½ x 23 in., Private Collection

John Singer Sargent, Corner of the Church of San Stae, Venice, 1913, Oil on Canvas, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
John Singer Sargent, Trout Stream in the Tyrol, 1914, Oil on Canvas, 22 x 28 in., Museum of Fine Art, San Francisco

I’ve always thought there was something second rate about many realist oil painters who paint thinly.  You might as well paint with watercolors if you don’t care about the exciting physicality of the oil medium.  I think the reason why John Singer Sargent stands atop the list of bravura portrait painters is because he wasn’t afraid to paint with a “fully loaded brush.”  Of course, you have to draw as well as Sargent to really pull it off.  But we can dream, can’t we?   Sargent was such a wizard with the brush that even his watercolors have the full-bodied look of oils. 

Whenever I’m painting, some of Sargent’s words to a student pop into my head.  One time he said, “The thicker you paint, the more color flows.”  And he always tells me when I’m painting glassware that, “If you see a thing transparent, paint it transparent; don't get the effect by a thin stain showing the canvas through. That's a mere trick.”  
 
Hendrick Ter Brugghen (1588-1629), A Jovial Violinist Holding a Glass of Wine (circa 1627), Oil on Canvas, 41 ¾ by 33 7/8 in., Private Collection
And while I’m painting, that admonition sets me to thinking of all those paintings of glassware we’ve seen where the vessel is merely indicated over a dark background by strokes of lighter paint to indicate the rim and base, and a crisp window highlight.  You know it’s a drinking glass, but you don’t get the weight of the glass in space by doing it that way.  You have to observe and interpret the three-dimensional form of the glass and the volume of whatever liquid it contains, if any, by accurately representing the variety of tones that distinguish the object from the background color.

There are probably dozens of other considerations that go through my head as I push the paint back and forth between a drinking glass and the background to get the glass to seem as real as it actually is in the atmospheric space in front of me.  I dislike discussing lost and found edges.  They are such an obvious cliché for most realist painters.  So is the observation that there are no lines in nature.  Both are very important considerations, however, when attempting to achieve the illusion of reality on canvas.  But if they are exaggerated, or manufactured by the artist, it looks like a gimmick and the illusion of reality is lost.

Richard Schmid’s people do a lot of that lost and found kind of painting today.  They get some punchy, high-keyed, decorative paintings with that technique.  Collectors and many painters seem to love their work.  You don’t see any real truth to nature in that approach.   But I guess many artists and art lovers today think creating an alternate universe is more important than being true to nature.  I’d say, “to each his own,” but I don’t really believe that when it comes to contemporary realism.  There’s still enough beauty of form and color to be found in nature with your own eyes, without resorting to stylistic gimmicks that are eagerly passed around from painter to painter.   Impressionists and expressionists can do whatever they want, as far as I’m concerned, to make an exciting painting.  And I love a lot of different styles of representational art, just not obvious brush-handling gimmicks exploited by their creators for whatever their reasons might be.  I personally can’t fathom why one painter would want another painter to handle the paint just like he does -- in his own peculiar but effective way, that is.   But I guess you can’t write instruction books, create videos and lead workshops without selling a bit of your soul in the process.

When I started painting and saw Sargent's work for the first time,  I was bowled over by the way he handled his edges.  The background tones might have been almost identical to the foreground object, but the subtle separation was often obtained by a solid stroke of a slightly different tone, whether it was a sitter’s cheek or a Venetian column.  The effect from a distance was a palpable realism.

Today’s “lost and found” edge painters owe a great debt to Anders Zorn, a much earthier human being than Sargent, who creates the same palpable realism on canvas over a wider range of figurative subjects with a comparable bravura technique in both oils and watercolors, without using a lot of paint to get the job done.   Some of his incredibly well-modeled female nudes seem to be merely stained with gorgeous flesh color, but the modeling of the form is still perfection itself.

Zorn’s female nudes are unmatched in the history of painting for their naturalistic, physical presence.  He seems to have done hundreds in his lifetime, the envy of all figurative painters, to be sure.  Some earlier painters, like Rubens, Boucher and Fragonard, for example, give him a good run for his money.  But we know that the charming nudes created by those earlier painters were a few steps removed from reality.  Not so with Zorn’s nudes -- front, back, sideways, horizontal, bending over, reclining or whatever.   Just between you and me, nobody ever painted more naturalistic, volumetric female derrieres than the great Swede.

Anders Zorn, One of his Swedish Sauna Paintings
While Zorn quite obviously delighted in painting the female form divine, I’m saddled with painting drinking glasses.  My mind races around with thoughts on painting as I continue slogging away, trying to get my drinking glass to seem every bit as real as a Zorn painting of a derriere.  “What a revoltin’ Development!”  When it’s all over, I forget everything until I paint another picture with a drinking glass in the setup.  And all I’ve painted is one damn drinking glass.  Now I’ve got all the other stuff in the still life setup to paint in order to bring them up to some degree of finish in harmony with that one glass.  In addition, I’m obliged to continue my incidental musings about all the encounters I’ve had with all the fascinating thoughts and daunting images from all the other great painters I admire.

A painter’s life isn’t easy, especially if you are hearing voices and following Sargent’s commandments!


William Orpen, The Studio, 1910, Oil on Canvas, 38 x 31.5 in.
Leeds Museums and Galleries, UK
But I have to let the great Irish master Sir William Orpen have the last word on thick or thin painting.  Like Sargent and other terrific painters in those days, Orpen didn’t seem to have much interest in talking about technique.  Those painters all learned a way to paint and that was that.   According to his devoted student Sean Keating, a wonderful Irish painter in his own right, “Orpen taught that sufficient paint to create the illusion of light and shade, of tone and color was enough.”  Keating said Orpen laughed at talk about “touch,” “impasto,” and other paint-handling techniques, calling it, “all that sort of tosh.”

When I came across that quote a couple of years ago, I was set free from the oppression of Sargent’s words.  Unfortunately, this freedom only lasts until I stand once more in front of a Sargent painting.  Then I start to dream again.