Friday, March 1, 2013

Easy Money



Kenneth Harris,Mattie and Maynard's Grocery,1951,Chrysler Museum of Art,Norfolk,VA
I have a book published in 1954 titled “How to Make a Living as a Painter,” written by Kenneth Harris, a former advertising man who was well into his second successful career, that of a watercolor painter.  The basic premise of his book is that if you work your butt off and put low prices on your paintings, you will sell everything you create and eventually succeed in your goal.  It made sense, but was not very encouraging.  For one thing, Harris suggests doing something like he did when he moved to Galveston, Texas in the early-1940s.  He lived primitively in a shack on the beach, priced everything he painted at $2 to $5 and sold everything he painted.  He soon got enough dough together to escape the beach and he never looked back.  No longer a shack dweller, he repeated this basic scenario in five other regional cities, upping his prices at each stop, and in 12 years time he could write that he was comfortably raising a family, a wife and two children, on his painting income alone.

Avoid the dream of holding out for a one-person show in a New York gallery, Harris sagely advised, and don't put unreasonably high prices on your work.   His 1954 rationale was, “There are very few people who can pay $1,000 for a painting, no matter how much they want it, but there are millions who will pay $50 to $250 for a painting that appeals to them.”

I couldn’t agree more with that point of view.  I know a couple of painters from Connecticut who live simply in a small town and make a living as full-time painters in like manner.  Each year they produce tons of excellent landscapes, still lifes and figurative paintings on pre-stretched cotton canvases or Masonite panels.  They put inexpensive frames on their paintings and sell them at low prices at home shows and several outdoor art fairs in the region, including the Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit in Greenwich Village.  The two of them have been doing this for up to 50 years.  They fully subscribe to the philosophy of their late mentor, a superb landscape painter who believed that fine art should be reasonably priced and accessible to the general public, and that seeking to get rich through the gallery labyrinth is not the true path of the painter. 

Tintoretto,Paradise,after 1588,74x30 feet,Palazzo Ducale, Venice

Of course the book by Harris was written decades before Internet con games caused everybody in America to foam at the mouth at the prospect of becoming that absurd being known today as a “Daily Painter.”  Tintoretto was a daily painter, too, but he was furiously knocking out mural-size paintings, not decorating 6x6 inch drink coasters with photographic images of cute puppy dogs.

As for me, I was working as a journalist when I moved to New York City from St. Louis in 1970.  I sold my car and settled into a nice old rent-stabilized one-bedroom apartment in a pre-war building on Broadway in the now-fashionable Upper West Side of Manhattan.   I wasn’t concerned at the time that my apartment had normal apartment-size windows and often poor west-northwest light in the morning when I do my painting, without any enhancement from artificial light, which I don’t like working under.  At least the natural light is unobstructed across the "broad way.”   And I tend to believe that if a painting is true to the light it is painted in, be it lousy or good, it will be appreciated by a few sensitive viewers.

The city’s favorable rent laws still cover almost one million apartments; some occupied by low-income painters like me who would love to find more appropriate lodging, but can’t afford to move.  I’m too old to live on the beach in Galveston now – never was a beach person anyway.  And I can’t think of another city in the world with a place like The Art Students League where, as a member, I can sketch from the live model five late afternoons a week for free and paint from the model at low cost on Saturdays. 

And while I am in complete agreement with Mr. Harris and the two Connecticut painters with regard to selling paintings at low prices, my unfortunate, therapy immune lack of self-esteem makes asking for anything, money for my paintings included, an incredibly difficult task.  I have been more than happy to let the few galleries I’ve had over the years price my work.  My paintings are certainly not masterpieces, and my gut feeling is they are worth something, but not a heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things.

How many times have I heard the admonition, “Don’t sell yourself short.”  Let’s see how I perform when I have been cornered by a collector or a new acquaintance into selling one of my paintings privately, rather than through a gallery:

The potential buyer who “loves my work,” will ask, “What do you want for it?”  Well, the buyer is in my own home/studio and I can’t be rude or presumptuous, so I might say, “Oh. give me $200.”  And this for a beautiful 20x24 inch still life that I have a $200 frame for in my inventory and that I might have sold for $2,000 if it was in one of my old galleries.  “How about if I give you $150 and you throw in the frame,” the buyer will respond.  “Oh, alright,” I’ll say, forcing a smile, all the while in mental anguish and seething inwardly.  

The buyer seems pleased as he trips out of my apartment with the framed painting tucked under his arm.  The painting has been backed with foam board, wired for hanging and stuffed in a big plastic garbage bag to protect it from the elements.  I’m so angry with myself that I vow for the umpteenth time never to sell privately again, and remain in a snit for days.  I would rather give the paintings away than sell privately, and so I have on occasion.  “Here, take another one with you, kind sir.  And have another as well for good measure; they are just piling up here anyway.”  How bitter is the painter’s cup.

I once attended a lecture on this topic of making a living as a painter that was being given by Artist’s Equity at The Art Students League.  At the time, the bouncer stationed at the League’s front door was a big, strong black man named Washington, who was famously known for keeping out riff-raff of even lower reputation than those who were welcomed in for having paid their tuition or for having become members of this hallowed institution.  “Wash” caught me stealing away from the worthless evening lecture in the second floor gallery, and until his death years later, he always greeted me with, “Hey, Money, how’s it going?”

Money has never been easy for me.